"Wayfarer, Pause and Look
A Gateway of Paradise"
Inscription in the rock by Mervyn Bosworth-Smith, founder
of Malealea, Trading Station in the early 1900's - now Malealea
Lesotho is a world without fences. Breathtaking
scenery abounds and every season has unique attractions. Malealea
Lodge is run by the Jones Family, Mick & Di Jones both born in Lesotho and credited with more local knowledge than anyone. Jacqui, Glenn and Debbie Jones grew up in Lesotho and Michael Deutschmann have joined the team. Mick & Di Jones, both born in
Lesotho and credited with more local knowledge than anyone. Various
Basotho Children's choirs and a Local Basotho Band, using their
local home-made instruments, entertain the guests in the evenings
around a campfire.
- Outings range from 1 hour to 6 days or longer tailor-made
to your requirements.
- The treks are usually about 7 hours each day. No riding experience
- The huts and horses are hired from the Basotho people in remote
- The huts are very basic and are equipped with a gas cooker,
cooking & eating utensils, mattresses on the floor. On trek
you experience "THE REAL AFRICA".
- The trails traverse spectacular mountain passes and some of
Lesotho's highest waterfalls exploring Bushman paintings and
experiencing "Basotho culture".
- Basotho Guides and a packhorse accompany the treks.
- Treks & trails are tailor made to suit your requirements.
- All is flexible and can be arranged at a moments notice.
- Local Museum & School Visit.
- Village Walks and Garden Project.
- Sangoma - Traditional Healer appointment.
- Local Childrens Choir & Band
- Botsoela Waterfall Hike, Pony Trek or Scenic Drive
- The Pitseng Canyon & Rockpool Hike
- The Bushman Paintings & Echo Cave Hike or Pony Trek
- The "Gates of Paradise Pass" hike along the ridge
of the Matelile Ridge
Hikers: Take the "donkey work" out of backpacking
by hiring horses to carry your luggage
- The Ribaneng Waterfall Trek - 2 days and 1 night in a village
- The Ribaneng & Mountain Pass Trek 3 days & 2 nights
- The Ribaneng & Ketane Waterfall Trek - 4 days & 3
nights in villages.
- The Ribaneng, Ketane & Maletsunyane Trek - 5 days & 4 nights in villages
- Ribaneng, Ketane & Maletsunyane Trek - 6 days & 5
nights in villages
Lesotho adventures start at Malealea, exploring the day outings
before travelling across the country. Companions can be arranged
at Malealea to accompany your trip, introducing you to local chiefs,
helping in locating night camping sites, and ensuring your safety.